We all know how important it is to keep meticulous records in property management. From ingoing, routine and outgoing inspection reports to maintenance and repair requests, you can’t have too much information. But in any busy role, it’s easy to let things slide from time to time. In property management however, failing to keep complete and accurate records can cost you. So how do you ensure that all the i’s are dotted and the t’s are crossed while being efficient with your time?
Have you ever had an outgoing tenant claim they didn’t receive a copy of the Ingoing Condition Report and then object to damage noted on their outgoing report? This would not be an issue if you had clear evidence that they had received the ingoing report. But what if you were unable to show irrefutable proof? Would your word against theirs stack up at Tribunal?
Here are a few tips to keeping impeccable records:
- Have the tenant sign an acknowledgement that they received the Ingoing Condition Report when handing out the keys. Ensure they return it within the required three days (diarise to follow them up).
- Take photos during the ingoing inspection and keep a digital and hard copy record of all photos (with dates) on the tenant’s file.
- Email a copy of the signed Ingoing Inspection Report and Lease Agreement to the tenant to maintain a digital audit trail.
A better, more efficient way to conduct inspections, keep everyone in the loop and maintain a complete and irrefutable audit trail is to invest in the leading inspection app on the Australian market, InspectSafe.
InspectSafe is inspection, safety and maintenance software all rolled into one easy to use app installed on your iPad or smartphone. Incorporating key information from your trust system, the app allows you to:
- Set up a new inspection in less than 30 seconds
- Produce branded inspection reports onsite
- Capture and facilitate maintenance tasks onsite
- View the last inspection data online – ideal for routine and outgoing inspections
- Enter detailed inspection notes
- Take and store photos
- Create professional PDF reports
- Edit and resubmit your inspections anywhere, any time
- Email reports to tenants and landlords directly from the property, creating an instant audit trail
In this way, InspectSafe protects you from the potential of problem tenants due to poor inspection procedures and/or documentation. And it saves you time. Business Development Manager at First National On the Coast, Elle Osbourne says, “InspectSafe has reduced our inspection times by around 35 minutes per inspection.”
Perhaps the most important feature of InspectSafe is the built-in GPS tracking and distress alert, which helps keep you safe when out in the field. After all, as a property manager, efficiency might be expected but your safety is paramount.
Request a demonstration of InspectSafe today.